Thank you for your interest in adopting a dog from Friday’s Rescue Foundation!
Friday’s Rescue Foundation takes great care in selecting the best dog for your family and needs. We do not allow potential adopters to walk through our kennel, but we will take as much time as you need showing each dog individually during your scheduled appointment time. Walking through the kennels gets the dogs riled up and stressed out, and you would not get to see the true personality of each dog.
Things we will take into consideration in selecting the right dog for you:
- You must be at least 25 years old to adopt from our foundation.
- Do you have other pets? (cats, dogs, farm animals, etc.)
- Do you have children (What are their ages?)
- What type of home environment do you have? (apartment/house? Fenced yard? Etc.)
- What is the activity level of your household? (Active, low key, outdoorsy, etc.)
- Do you have any breed restrictions?
- How would you describe your ideal dog?
All dogs that are available for adoption can be viewed on our PetFinder.
If you see a dog on our website that you are interested in adopting, please fill out our online adoption application and email it back to us at FridaysRescueFoundation@gmail.com. Please be sure to fill out the application carefully and completely. We require you to list both a veterinary reference as well as two (2) non-family personal references. If you are renting and have a landlord, please be sure to list their contact information as well.
Once an application is received for a specific dog, it will be reviewed by our adoption committee in detail to determine if you meet our adoption requirements and criteria. We will continue to take up to 3 applications on any of our dogs or until they are placed in their forever home. We do not adopt out on a first com, -first served basis. We base our decisions on the best interest of the dog.
***Litters of puppies have a slightly different process, please speak with Elizabeth if you want to adopt a puppy***
Our application process is as follows:
- Schedule a meet and greet at the kennel.
- Select a dog and complete an adoption application.
- We check the veterinary reference first. If the vet reference is not complete, your application will be placed on hold. Once the vet reference is completed and satisfactory, your two personal references will be checked.
- A home visit will be conducted. We do this to see where our rescued dogs will be living and to ensure a safe, loving home environment for our dogs.
- Once the reference checks and home visits are complete, your application is presented to the adoption committee as a whole where it will be discussed and approved or declined.
- If you are adopting any dog over 6 months old, you will be required to attend a 1-hour educational session at My Dogs Place in Mystic, CT. Before adoption is ideal but it can be after adoption. This educational session will help to ensure a successful transition into your home for both the dog and your family by covering topics such as: acclimating to the new home, the first two weeks, equipment and safety, nutrition, understanding dog language, kids and dogs, training, and socialization.
- If you are adopting a puppy under 6 months old, it is strongly suggested that you attend, at minimum, a 6-week puppy kindergarten class to learn the basics of training and living with a puppy. Please speak with Elizabeth if you have any questions.
- If approved, you will be called to schedule a time to pick up your new dog. If you are declined, you will be notified.
As a foundation, we require that all your pets, including indoor cats, are up-to-date on routine medical care including vaccinations (distemper and rabies), spaying/neutering, etc. Dogs should be current on annual heartworm testing and a record showing purchase of heartworm prevention is required. If there are special circumstances where this is not possible, please indicate this on your application as well as have a note placed in your veterinary file. We will call your veterinarian to confirm all medical history information for current pets, so please notify your vet that we will be calling so they can release medical records and information to our foundation.
All adoption decisions are made as a committee. We place our dogs into homes that we feel is the best option for each dog specifically. Our adoption committee has the right to decline any application for any reason, including the following:
- If your current pets are not spayed or neutered, your application will be declined.
- If your current or previous pets are/were not properly vaccinated or on heartworm prevention, your application may be declined.
- We understand that sometimes you forget an appointment but we will require you to bring your pet to the vet and be updated on all routine vaccines prior to sending your new dog home.
- If your references come back negative, your application will be declined.
- If your home visit report is negative, your application may be declined.
- Sometimes we will make suggestions as to changes to be made prior to the dog coming home and a second home visit will be required.
- If the adoption committee has any reservations about the dog’s safety, well-being, or health, your application will be declined.
When it comes time to pick up your dog, if approved, please be aware of the following:
- Friday’s Rescue Foundation accepts personal checks or cash only. The personal check must be in the name of the applicant for the dog. We do not accept credit cards, etc.
- We will take a copy of your driver’s license when you come to pick up your dog.
- We will provide you with a full medical history for your new dog.
- All dogs adopted through Friday’s Rescue come spayed/neutered (or are scheduled to be), up-to-date on age appropriate vaccines (sometimes a dog is in the middle of a vaccination series, in that case, it will be your responsibility to finish the series at your vet), on monthly heartworm and flea/tick medication, and microchipped.
- All microchips are registered to Friday’s Rescue Foundation. If you decide to transfer it into your name, you can do that at petlink.net. There is a transfer fee paid to the chip company. We will email the process to you once you adopt.
- If your dog has not been spayed or neutered yet (due to age or medical reasons), we will provide you with a date for surgery.
- The adoption contract must be signed by the initial applicant. You will be provided with a copy of this via email as well.
Adoption fees for the dogs will vary depending on the cost associated with the specific rescue. Call 860-446-9016 for adoption fee inquiries. Adoption fees are considered a NON-REFUNDABLE donation to Friday’s Rescue Foundation. However, as we are a 501c3 charity, your donation is tax deductible.
If the adopter can no longer keep their adopted dog, the dog must be returned to Friday’s Rescue Foundation. There is no refund of adoption fee regardless of how long you had the dog. Although this is rare, if the committee agrees the dog was not a good fit based on the dog’s behavior, your previously paid adoption fee can be applied to a newly selected dog.
If you have any questions throughout the process, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone at 860-446-9016 or by email at FridaysRescueFoundation@gmail.com.